This was supposed to be my birthday lasagna… and it turned into an amazing birthday pasta casserole because all 3 of my grocery stores didn’t have brown rice lasagna noodles! (Gluten free) This is a great, simple dish to prepare for a large group, or, great for meal prep! You can totally put this in the freezer in individual servings. Great for gluten free or vegetarian guests! A healthier version of lasagna for sure. Feel free to substitute the pasta for lasagna! I made it in layers so it can easily be switched!
For 12-16 servings, you’ll need these ingredients. Feel free to chop them in half!
36 oz pasta
16 oz raw spinach
16 oz of ricotta
1/2 tsp salt/pepper
3 green squash
4 cups mozzarella
Handful of fresh basil
48 oz tomato sauce
- Put a large pot of water up to boil for pasta. In another pan, heat up the olive oil and saute the spinach.
- Once it has cooked down, you need to drain the liquid. Put the spinach in a colander and use a spatula to squeeze it out.
- In a bowl, beat an egg, add the ricotta cheese and mix together.
- Add the spinach, salt and pepper, and mix until all ingredients are well combined.
- When your water boils, add the pasta and cook al dente.
- Cut up the opinions, add olive oil and saute in the same skillet you used to cook the spinach.
- Slice your zucchini thin and saute with the onions.
- When your pasta is al dente, drain it and put back in the pot. Make sure to add a bit of olive oil so it doesn’t stick together.
- Once the zucchini has cooked down, add in the sauce. Stir together and cook for a few minutes
- Now we build. First layer is 1/3 of the pasta, next is the sauce, fresh basil, half of the ricotta mixture, 1/3 of the shredded mozzarella, and half of the zucchini.
- Then another layer of pasta, sauce, basil, the rest of the ricotta, 1/3 of the mozzarella, and the rest of the zucchini. Top it off with pasta, sauce and the rest of the mozz.
- Add some fresh black pepper to the top and cover the tray with tin foil.
- Place in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. When the timer goes off, take the tin foil off and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Then, put the broiler on high to get the cheese toasty, leaving the oven open a bit so you can watch it. It will only take a minute or two.
- Once it comes out, let it sit for a few minutes before cutting.
BOOM! Everyone will love it!!
Let me know how it comes out and if you made any substitutions!
Make it a great week,